Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Change We Can Believe In Or Too Soon?

So, up until Obama was sworn in today it appeared to many that there was a dire need for CHANGE in our nation. The argument could be made that things in this country seemed eerily similar to the early 90's and that we were headed in the wrong direction (I won't even get into my opinion on this, because, well I have my convictions much as President George W. Bush does and I stand by them, but that's beside the point). Wherever you stand politically it is hard to deny the similarities...an unpopular war in the middle east, a slowing economy, a President named George Bush. Well, now the United States of America has sworn in President Barack Obama and we now have our CHANGE...



But are things going to CHANGE that much?

During the Capitol luncheon Senator Ted Kennedy suffered a seizure and collapsed. Is this change? I mean we know how those Kennedy's are about being able to keep their heads together during major events...

...too soon?

...but seriously am I the only one wondering if he fell to the back and to the left?

...definitely too soon?

Seriously, though Sen. Kennedy probably just had a few too many scotches...wasn't this lunch held a little after noon? I am sure its not the first time Sen. Kennedy has hit the floor before 3:00 P.M.

According to George Stephanopoulos' account of the event:

Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., the oldest member of the Senate, was so upset and distraught from what he had witnessed, that he needed to be taken out of the room.


Wait, we're still talking about Kennedy's seizure, right? Or the inauguration in general? I mean we are talking about Sen. Byrd, here....'nuff said...if you don't get it look him up.

But back to the man of the hour, President Barack Obama and his inauguration speech. A Swedish website was taking bets on the likelihood of Obama using certain words during his election. The odds were 1000:1 that he would use the word 'banana'. WTF? Anyway, I am saddened to report that none of the following words made it into his speech: 'pace,' 'chili,' 'wipe his face,' etc...

I don't blame President Obama, though, I blame his head speech writer, John Favreau.

No, not that one...



That would have been so money though...

This, however, did happen and I only wish I would've placed some of the CHANGE I have left on someone breaking out with a freestyle during the ceremony.



Say, what? Oh, lawd...

I think my favorite thing about this whole inauguration was Washington D.C. enacting prostitution free zones for the day. Wait, shouldn't they all be prostitution free zones? Nevermind...I am left to ask myself how did these zones impact local businesses in the District. Well, you didn't hear it from me but I hear a certain Louisiana Senator *cough* was seen in a poorly created disguise eating at his favorite spot today...



I heard it was extra messy today and that he did in fact have to 'wipe his face.'

And then there was Beyonce singing the First Dance for the First Couple on this historical day. I couldn't help but think that she should've just called an audible and started singing "...to the left, to the left..."

And now for our moment of zen for the week. With all this talk of HOPE and optimism in the country I couldn't think of a more appropriate story to bring up than the story of United Flight 1549. Both engines are dead and you are barely off the ground flying above a densely populated urban area. It seems as if catastrophe has struck. But a skilled pilot was able to land the plane on the Hudson River and all 155 people aboard walked away with their lives and only minor injuries. This brush with near disaster seems to be the perfect backdrop for President Obama's message of HOPE and optimism. I am certain our 44th President would say that such an event serves as a means of showing that even when things seem dim we must have HOPE and to those who doubt he would say 'Yes, we can.'



I, however, can only think "Who was flying that plane? JFK Jr.?"

...too soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment